Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Estes Park Half Marathon Review

Pros: well-organized, laid back, nice tech t-shirt, excellent volunteers, race-day packet pick-up, easy parking, big jugs of sunscreen, nice warm pre-race waiting area in the school cafeteria (and real indoor toilets!), discourage cup use, orange slices on the course, good price, lots of downhill in second part of race, no lines for post-race food. (I didn't eat any, so I can't say if it was any good.)

Cons: no oxygen at 7,500 feet, hills, sun, heat, roads remained open so there's traffic, Estes Park McMansion neighborhoods, very little fan support.

Medal was okay.

Will I run this half marathon again? Since this is a local choice for me, I just might. This was a tough run, and honestly I was undertrained. I treated it pretty casually. I'd like to train for it seriously and maybe get out to Eldora a week earlier so that I can better acclimate to the altitude. Also, I should squeak in a couple more long runs before I run this one.

So yeah, I'd like to tackle this one again and treat it like a real challenge and not a casual training run.

No comments:

Post a Comment