Saturday, June 15, 2013

Lost Lake


Yesterday was the first hike of the season--an easy one to Lost Lake. I was a little more winded than I expected, given that I've been running six miles a day at altitude for about a week. It was hot though--I'll never get used to the intense sun here. Altitude I can adjust to, but sun, never!

There was a little bit of snow past the second bridge and some around the lake, too, which delighted the girls and Wendell, too.

The girls caught fish and so did Dennis and Tim. I caught the most fish and the biggest fish, which made her so happy. We had a fish fry last night, with nothing but fish and potatoes (and a hot dog for W). Fun.

Dennis and I marvel at how out of shape we were when we started coming here--the Lost Lake hike  used to be a major physical achievement for us. Now it feels pretty unremarkable. Yeah, we were a little tired last night, but we sure weren't shattered by it.

Today is a rest day for me because tomorrow . . . Estes Park Half Marathon. I'm both nervous and excited. I've considered this race every year for three years now and have chickened out every time--the hills! the altitude! the sun! This year, I decided to go for it and give myself permission to walk-- a lot if I have to.  I know this is a slow, tough course. If I come in under 2:30, I'll be happy with myself. (I usually finish a half marathon closer to 2:05.) If I come in closer to 3:00, I'll try not to be too tough on myself.

I'm going to save myself the trip to Estes today and do packet pick-up in the morning, which will probably add to my nerves a little, but I can handle it.

 Vegan pizza tonight? 

No comments:

Post a Comment